Sunday, January 11, 2009

Green Tech and Energy Efficiency

For one of my final classes in the MS-Marketing program at the University of Cincinnati, I am working as a consultant for a local company on one of their projects. This company is a small consulting business in the energy efficiency and upgrades industry. In the last couple of years, I have taken an interest in ways to become more energy efficient myself, and reading up on the field to better understand opportunities in this growing business. So, when we were able to choose which company we would like to partner with from those that wrote up a proposal, I knew that this was my chance to get some real experience in this field while demonstrating my marketing talents to add value to their business.

While I am unable to disclose the particulars of what it is that I am working on, I will say that it is a product that serves as an energy efficient upgrade to a residential or commercial property. My job is to partner with the company's owner to develop a sound marketing plan for this product. The goal being to bring it to market with the correct structure to make it a success and establish a point of sustained differentiation in which the company may build on.

This industry of "green" technology, clean renewable resources, and energy efficiency is one in which I see great potential for me in the near future. If the government gets on track with new programs offering tax incentives, encouraging innovation, and working to bring the best products to market at scale, the opportunity to marketing professionals is immense. I want to be a part of these energy initiatives from a marketing standpoint and use the skills I have acquired in my field to contribute positively to an organization aiming to bring these products and ideas to consumers. This project should give me not only some valuable experience in this field, but will also undoubtedly aid me in making connections to use in the future.

If you are currently involved in this industry in any capacity, or have an interest as I do, please contact me. I would be interested to talk with you.