Monday, January 25, 2010

Throwbacks

I am a big fan of Mountain Dew. I always have been. I know it's not the healthiest choice, but it is a delicious choice. Last night while watching the NFL conference championships at a friend's house, I enjoyed a can of Mountain Dew Throwback, and it got me thinking about the campaign.

Pepsi first unleashed their Throwback products (called a "throwback" because they are made with actual sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup America now puts in literally everything) last year, I believe. Below is what the cans looked like then.



I tasted the Pepsi Throwback at a family members house, but missed my chance for the Mountain Dew version. The store was sold out by the time I got there - they weren't kidding about the 'limited time'. They are now back in stores for another limited time offer, and this time I made sure to get a 12-pack of my favorite pop.

It seems as though Pepsi is being really smart with this offering. When it is offered, the 'limited time' call to action is real. They ship out a certain amount along with an ad campaign, and let it sell until it is gone. The 'limited time only' tag creates both a call to action and extra shove toward an impulse buy. The fact that it is made with natural sugar appeals to people that appreciate a natural sweetener and those that are becoming more conscious these days of the abundance of high fructose corn syrup in our diets. Offering this formula for a limited time is also better than trying to extend the brand line with infinite variations that people will quickly tire of. Lastly, Pepsi made a switch to a more retro-looking design this time out which will encourage the nostalgic mind to make a purchase.



Overall, I appreciate the look, taste, feel, and branding approach of Pepsi Throwbacks as a marketer as well as a consumer.