Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Morning Stories

I don't know about all of you, but I love CBS Sunday Morning. There's always a wide range of topics covered, and it exposes me to some interesting things I may not have thought I was interested in before. This morning, two segments in particular appealed to me and directly relate to what I talk about on this blog. So, I thought I'd share them.

The first covers brand icons from years past making a comeback in modern day advertising. I've written a few posts before on the effect that brand characters can have on a product's sales. What are your favorites? Do any of them have an effect on your purchasing decisions?Personally, I'm waiting on seeing the Snuggle Bear again. I used to have one myself.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/06/sunday/main20039775.shtml

The second segment detailed the efforts of marketers to appeal to the baby boomer generation as they become seniors. Unlike past generations, these seniors are healthier, more active, and are looking to experience life in new and exciting ways. How do we attract them to our offerings? The first rule seems to be avoiding the term "old". Products are marketed as "universal", or "user-friendly" to get retirees to give them a try without feeling like they are using a brand that is for "old-timers".

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/06/sunday/main20039772.shtml