Thursday, December 12, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Great Ads From Years Past - Week 1

This is the first post in a series I'm getting started today on this blog where I share some kind of a marketing piece - a magazine ad, TV commercial, billboard, etc. - that stands out among the rest as memorable and effective advertising.

To give a short background, on December 6th I shared the below post on Google+ about Amazon's little publicized 7-day refund policy.


As I mentioned in the post, this got me reminiscing about a very memorable commercial from my childhood. The following ad for Circuit City ran for a while, and features a kid who recently bought a Walk-Man making his way back to the store to show the clerk the newly advertised lower price on the item. The clerk issues a refund for the difference with no problem. The commercial puts customer service front and center as a value proposition, and stood out to me because it was a kid taking care of his purchase with no problem. I had a Walk-Man too, and I bought cassette tapes every week. So, I guess it kind of made me feel empowered to know that this is a store that wouldn't treat me like a little kid.